Join Julie the Stitch at her studio and meet the sewing machine
Learn the basic skills required to use your sewing machine for dressmaking by making a smart adjustable apron. All materials provided. You can bring your own machine or use one of ours.
This day is adults (18+) only, but look out for repeat sessions in the future when adult-plus-child double tickets will be available
Skill Level Beginner
Length 6 hours
Materials provided Pattern, fabric, buckle, tape, pressing guide, thread, printed instructions. Equipment to use during class – sewing machine, pins, chalk, scissors, iron & board
Student to provide No additional items required, but students may bring their own sewing machine if they wish and extra haberdashery supplies can be purchased to keep
Design Kitchen apron with adjustable strap and split pocket in a washable fabric. The pattern is sized for adults but the adjustable strap enables it to be worn by a child, and has been designed by Julie herself so that you can practice the most common sewing techniques found on commercial dressmaking patterns. Fabric is woven cotton or polycotton provided from a choice on the day.
What you’ll learn
- Basic fabric types/construction and how to choose a fabric for your project.
- Preparing the fabric and pattern
- How to correctly place the pattern on the fabric and cut accurately.
- Tips for pressing accurate hems and seams.
- Operating sewing machine safely
- Threading your sewing machine
- Straight stitch, zigzag stitch, adjusting stitch width and length.
- Foot control, guiding fabric and reverse
- Stitching Seams and hems
Bookings are closed for this event.